27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Making Diamonds from Hexagons


As I'm making tiny triangles I am sewing 2 to each hexagon on opposite ends. This should hopefully speed up the joining process as I should be able to start joining them in rows.

My plan at the moment is to make 3x3 diamonds and then join those together and fill in the edges. The pattern will be selectively random, but as you can hopefully see, the black is setting off the colour so each hexagon will stand on its own merit and not fade into the other fabrics.

Those triangles are so tiny! Only just bigger than my thumb nail. I've found that I have to be more accurate on the triangles, but sewing them together does leave a little wiggle room and pulls it all back together again if I'm a tiny amount off. Hopefully I can maintain a good level of accuracy.


A big bowl of colourful hexagons! I've made 150 of these at last count. There are a couple of very light tan hexagons that I might not use now that I'm starting to sew them together though.

2 comments:

Sherryl said...

So I'm wandering around the Internet checking out all the quilting blogs (as I am known to do), when I happened upon your Raid the Stash Quilt Along from way back in 2010! I know, crazy, huh? All of the blocks looked so wonderful that I immediately wanted to print out all the patterns and make one of my own!... but I never saw how it all ended up. Did you stop at Week 8? Did you ever finish the quilt?? Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
sunshdws@yahoo.com

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Oh those look so complicated, I commend you for your talent and hard work! I can't wait to see the finished product!