27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hexagon Skirt

Moulin Rouge - skirt
Hexagon Patchwork

A blast from the past! I could consider this one of my first attempts at patchwork. It was back in 2004 when I was working on a replica costume from Moulin Rouge when I needed to create this piece for the skirt.

One thing I don't like is the techique of creating hexagons with the seam down the middle. It was surprisingly easy to join each hexagon together side by side. I began in the centre and worked each row outwards but choosing my colours for the entire row and then sewing and pressing.

Hexagons are surprisingly forgiving, and with experience of other designs I would say that you do not need to be as precise as you would with a square design as you do not notice as much if a seam is off by an 8th of an inch.

I would love to work some smaller hexagons just like the beautiful bag from Story Quilt which inspired the background of this blog.

3 comments:

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

You know, I can't say for sure what the benefit is of paper piecing. I think the paper piecing helps you to get perfect points that match up perfectly. Not that you couldn't get this with sewing, but with the paper piece i'm pretty much guaranteed it. I would think it's also beneficial for working with very small hexagons, but with larger hexagons I see myself machine piecing in the future. Also, I just like having a hand project to work, and now that I can cut the squares instead of the hexagons, it makes it a lot easier, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I just learned hexagons this morning. I needed something to do on the run. I think I'm hooked.

Metanoia said...

Christina, I didn't thank you here as well for answering my question. For those not following her blog, I asked what the difference/benefit is of paper piecing hexagons when I found it easy just to sew them.

Metrosupial - hex designs are so effective. I can see why you're hooked!!