27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Quilting Completed

Quilting
Quilting Completed!

There was a point during this project when I thought the end would forever be in the distance, however this week I have spent several nights in front of the machine in an effort to just get that quilting done. Stitch in the ditch on this design is full of tedious short lengths, awkward turning and lots of ending off and starting again.

It was fantastic to finish all the blocks and do two rows of straight border stitching. I even worked out how to use the guide bar. It was a little awkward to keep affixed and kept jumping off because I hadn't locked it in right. I was very glad of it while doing the outside border quilting and happy I paid a little extra for a walking foot that came with one.

Does anyone else find they get sore shoulders while quilting? I found that in trying to manipulate the bulk of the quilt I was hunching my shoulders up to get leverage. I quilted for a good 4 hours or so tonight and moved my machine back and to the left on the desk. The result was that while the machine wasn't directly in front of me, the needle was and the extra table space in the front helped take the weight of the quilt reducing the strain on the needle and machine. Success!!

3 comments:

Carin said...

After I machine quilt my whole upper body is sore!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Sometimes i end up wearing my shoulders as earrings!!

Beautiful quilt....LindaMay

Metanoia said...

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I must be on the right track. I'm so happy with how it is turning out :)