27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Starting a Quilt

Choosen Fabrics

Now this isn’t exactly my first quilt, however last time I made what I consider to be some critical mistakes...
  1. I used corduroy instead of high quality cotton
  2. I didn’t actually "quilt the layers" because I couldn’t work out how to prevent puckering
  3. I didn’t know how to do an edge binding.
So all in all my first quilt wasn’t exactly a quilt, though it turned out well enough considering I was still starting to feel my way around a sewing machine.

I decided recently that I wanted to have a proper attempt at quilting to spice up my guest room and attempt a new skill, so I started out by watching some youtube videos. I found the best ones were by Jeanette White who shows everything from basic piecing to binding and other skills and techniques.

Then I looking at examples of other peoples works and finally settled on a style I wanted to attempt. The idea for the pattern is based on Kathleen Bissett’s pattern, however being unable to find a source to purchase it, I have been making it up as I go along.

The next step will be to do a "stach and slash" to create my pieces and start putting them together.

No comments: